nafex - Re: [NAFEX] surinam cherry....

  • From: Dan Sorensen <dan.phantom@westpa.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] surinam cherry....
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 21:13:44 -0400

Surinam cherries are usually Eugenia uniflora.  They are also called Pitanga in addition to several other names.  They are red, orange or yellow,about the size of a cherry, round with vertical ridges and 1 to 3 large seeds inside.

The acerola is Malpighia punicifolia (formerly called Malpighia glabra) and is also known as the Barbados cherry in addition to several others.  The berries are red, about the same size without the ridges.  The triangular seeds are relatively small. The acerola has up to 150 times as much vitamin C as the pitanga depending on where it is grown and the stage of ripeness.

Whichever one you have, they are both tasty and good for you.

Dan Sorensen