nafex - [NAFEX] Severinia buxifolia

  • From: "Dr. Ethan Natelson" <natelson@pipeline.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Severinia buxifolia
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 19:57:03 -0500

Dear Group,

At our Southern Fruit Fellowship (SFF) meeting a few months ago, in Elizabeth City, NC, I was chatting with Jim Mercer who mentioned that he grew all of his citrus, in Florida, grafted on Severinia. He has two types of Severinia, and prefers his dwarf cultivar as a rootstock over the standard, although both work. He just sent me a package of the Severinia fruit in order to generate seedlings to graft with. These are very small, hard, greenish berries. My question to any Severiniologists out there, is how to germinate these. Do they require stratification or scarification or any other manipulation or simply be planted immediately, as we do citrus seeds? It is remarkable that this small shrub, when used as a rootstock with citrus, produces a moderate sized and well anchored tree, with a nice thick trunk and requiring no support.

Regards, Ethan