nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Prunus serotina seed

  • From: "Griffin Gardens" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Prunus serotina seed
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:30:56 -0500

Tanis,

As the engineer of a recent up-screwing with North Star cherry pits while
attempting to store them to be grown out next year, I recommend you dry
your pits before putting them into storage. I put mine away in cold storage
when only surface dry, as you did, after a too long cleaning/fermenting
period at outside temps, and it wasn't long before that fermentation smell
turned to rotten smell, which with Prunus seed is an unmistakable and
life-long aroma experience. Subsequent investigation in Hartman and in the
USDA "Seeds of Woody Plants in the US" has turned up these items FOR PRUNUS
seed:

1. Flesh and juice should be removed promptly.
2. Moisture content must be low (4-6%) for long term storage (over one
year), but as high as surface-dry moisture conditions can be tolerated
for up to one year, if temp is low.
3. Storage should be at refrigerator temps (33-41F)
4. Moisture content should not fluctuate during storage (use sealed
containers).
5. Seed should be dried at room temp or below.
6. Excessive drying is detrimental but almost impossible to achieve if the
above conditions are maintained. Detrimental is somewhere below 4-6%. It is
impossible in MN to get air dried firewood below 15-20%, and the 4-6%
moisture content limit is only attainable in the super-dry atmosphere of a
heated building in mid-winter. Kiln dried lumber is supposed to finish at
6-8%, but almost never can be gotten that dry in the summertime - and this
with high heat and/or humidity reduction. My solution for drying for long
term storage is to air dry at the time of harvest and refrigerate, then
complete the drying inside as a party activity on New Years Eve.

Dave
Central Mn
zone 4a

So
> that's when I did the squishing. After squishing, I rinsed the cleaned
> seeds several times, until the water stayed clear. I then rolled up the
> seeds in a generous amount of paper towels, until I could get ahold of
some
> peat moss or other medium, and sealed them in a bag. Now the part that
> worries me : about 12 hours later, I noticed the bag was buldging.
Upon
> opening the bag, I smelled fermentation ! Even with no pulp (and not
much
> moisture) to support the process ! Can anyone comment on whether this
> would have damaged the germination potential ?
>
> And any suggestions on doing this better the next time ?
>
> Tanis Cuff, s.WI

  • [NAFEX] Prunus serotina seed, tanis cuff, 08/30/2003
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • RE: [NAFEX] Prunus serotina seed, Griffin Gardens, 08/31/2003