nafex - [NAFEX] pink fleshed Redhaven peach?

  • From: "road's end farm" <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: NAFEX email discussion group <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pink fleshed Redhaven peach?
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 10:18:59 -0400

Hi --

I had a customer at farmers' market Wednesday (in Bath, New York) who told me that the Redhaven peaches I was selling her were not the same as the ones she used to know. (She tried one, and did buy them.) She said the ones her father grew, and that she was able to buy elsewhere some years ago, had a pink tinge to the flesh, and a very sweet flavor; but that Redhaven peaches she's been able to buy for the last ten years or so have been different, in flavor as well as in color.

The Redhaven peach I have been growing has yellow flesh, and a very good peach flavor. I have been selling them in this area, the years that I've had them, for about ten years, including to customers who asked for Redhaven by name; no one else has ever said that these weren't the Redhaven that they remember. I have also bought local Redhaven peaches, in years when I had no crop but others in a more sheltered location did; and they were the same as my Redhaven. My trees came I think from Hilltop Nurseries, though I'd have to hunt through old records boxes in the attic to check, as my recordkeeping wasn't as good then as it is now and I didn't carry this information through.

Does anyone know anything about a pink fleshed Redhaven peach? I suggested that her father might have had a sport or an oddity, but she said that others in the area grew them also.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly

  • [NAFEX] pink fleshed Redhaven peach?, road's end farm, 08/31/2003