nafex - RE: [NAFEX] the Comfrey Controversy

  • From: breen@fedcoseeds.com
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] the Comfrey Controversy
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:58:22 -0500

sounds like I got a good one going...well so be it, those who have individual
plantings of comfrey in regularly maintained spaces, I salute you. Those that
have rethought a planting years later and discovered comfrey roots at six
foot depths and spread 15 feet wide are fearful, particularly in an orchard
scenario. I would say not the most intrusive, but very limiting to the next
person who might see your former property a little different. some real
estate folks/gardeners I know discourage planting this herb for this very
reason. also maintaining an orchard is a like trying to keep up with a team
of horses, especially in the first years. better to get established trees and
acreage figured out. but I stick to my guns about some of these so called
nitrogen fixing plants from asia etc. I feel the same way about ivys, I can;t
believe nurseries still sell virginia creeper! my thought is always what if
you die or move on and the land sits unmanaged for a number of years? are you
i!
nviting a plant or combination of plants that might reach beyond your
intention? Round up does very little to discourage comfrey by the way, and
have you ever seen the results of a tiller through a area with even a little
comfrey? bye bye summer, hello weeding. just seen too many old or vacant
lots/houses turning into a question where a bulldozer and new loam is the
only answer for the next resident.
heron breen, maine zone 4b