nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: hornets and wasp

  • From: "Joe Hecksel" <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: hornets and wasp
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:55:42 -0400

> At 07:11 PM 8/18/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> >What is the best after care for a sting?

Disclaimer: I have no medical training. I am not making
recommendations. I am merely reporting what I do when stung by bees
and yellow jackets.

I pull the stinger and cover the welt with a baking soda paste. I take
an oral O-T-C antihistamine tablet or decongestant-antihistamine
combo. I scrape off the paste after 10 or 15 minutes and wash with
soap and water. Then I rub in some 1% hydrocortisone cream, which is
also available over-the-counter. When possible, I just kind of hang
out in the house near the phone for about a half hour....just in case.

I really dislike yellow jackets. I read that they "mark" you with a
pheremone that acts like a homing beacon for other attacking yellow
jackets.

--
Joe Hecksel
Personal Webpage http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel