nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: hornets and wasp

  • From: Doug Clayton <dnclayton@monad.net>
  • To: griffingardens@earthlink.net, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: hornets and wasp
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:53:13 -0400

Re white faced/bald faced hornets (the big ones):  If the nest can't be "accessed" from the ground then it is unlikely to be a safety problem for humans.  If it can be reached from the ground then a propane torch up the entry/exit hole after dark on a cool night will eliminate the problem.  There's no way out alive.  I've done this successfully many times and never been stung.

Doug
Zone 4 NH

Griffin Gardens wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the kind words.  Remember to aim for the upper half when taking the shotgun approach. The bottom of the nest is mostly hollow while the top is where the action is.  There is a pretty good picture of the inside of the nest at: http://www.unexco.com/gallery/nest.html   I think this shotgun m.o. would move up to plan 'A' for me when the nest can't be accessed from the ground, and the alternative is to do all this from the lonely reaches of a ladder.

P.S.  I made and froze 15 qts of Whitney applesauce this weekend - sweetened with a little honey.... in case anybody thinks its any of his business, which it ain't.

Dave
zone 4a