nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: hornets and wasp

  • From: "Griffin Gardens" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: hornets and wasp
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 7:9:33 -0500

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Re: hornets and wasp
Good morning,

I just learned something that might be of interest to anyone having to deal with bald-faced hornets - the kind that build the Japanese lantern like nests suspended from small diameter tree branches. I have two nests in the yard: one in a basswood in an out of the way corner of the yard that is easily avoided, and the other in my ready-for-applesauce Whitney crab. I am content to let the grass grow in the basswood area, but I am out of applesauce and need to get rid of the hornets now, Whitneys being the ripe at 12:00 PM, mush by noon type apple.

What I learned is that hornets do not go into the nest on windy, humid nights with a low temp of 75 F. Rather they gather around the opening waiting in the dark for someone to come along with a can of insecticide in one hand and a flash light in the other, so they can sting him in his ample forehead when he approaches and turns on the light. Bonus lesson: this kind of weather makes hornets just as cranky as it does the humans.

I'll try the soapy water as soon as the swelling goes down if I am able to screw up my courage sufficiently.

Dave