nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Selective Cuttings

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Selective Cuttings
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:51:44 -0500

This sort of 'genetic drift' also occurrs in tree fruits, though to what degree, is anyone's guess. Just look at the various Red Delicious and Gala selections that have been made from bud sports, with selection for larger fruit size, more intense red color, etc.

Even in pecans, there have been a few bud sports selected that I'm aware of. A number of years back, Henry Converse (who just passed away yesterday a month after a massive stroke) selected a bud sport of the "Major" pecan, from a limb which consistently produced nuts 10-15% larger than normal. Similarly, George James in Brunswick MO, made a selection from one of his pecans(I can't remember now if it's the James or James Early) from a branch that consistently had larger, darker green foliage than the rest of the tree.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY