nafex - [NAFEX] garden disappointments/rewards

  • From: Kevin Bradley <kbradley@ttlc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] garden disappointments/rewards
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 20:57:32 -0500

Mollies Delicious apples are disease and insect free, large, blocky, beautul, delicious apples.
Prairie Egg plum is doing very well, I really like the texture and aroma of the fruit but wish it were sweeter, still a very worthwhile plum.
Macouns produced abundantly for the first time ever after 8 years of blooming , I thought it was lack of pollenization but guess it was susceptiility to late frosts as we had no frosts during or after bloom this year.
Zestar was excellent, watermelony texture similar to Honeycrisp, balanced flavor ripened Aug fifth in S WI.
Consort black currant yielding very abundantly and the jam is my favorite.
September Ruby has born six large apples on a 5/16" whip of about 5 feet.
Frontenac and Valiant have no grapes due to I believe brown rot whereas St Croix and Foch, right next to them are completely free of disease.and producing extremely abundant crops of tight full bunches.
That's all for now.
Kevin Bradley