nafex - [NAFEX] Asian pears

  • From: Brian Pearson <bjpearson@centurytel.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Asian pears
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:47:25 -0500

Good morning. I have 3 cvs. of Asian pears here in southern Zone 4. and
find that the flavor changes markedly the longer one allows the fruit to
hang on the tree. Early in the harvest season, the pears are juicy and
crisp, but have a very mild flavor. Late in the season, the pears are
softer and juicy, and have a pronounced flavor (Taihe Japanese Golden
Russet has a strong rum flavor). Light frosts don't seem to affect the
fruits, but a freeze rather ruins them in my estimation. They are
certainly unusual fruits and bear heavily every year, but, in general, I
would much prefer a ripe European pear for both texture and flavor. Does
anyone have any kitchen recipes for Asian pears to take advantage of their
unusual flavor?
Cheers, Brian Pearson (northeastern Wisconsin)