nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Asian pears

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian pears
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:50:25 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Asian pears
I have tasted that pear at the NCGR in Corvallis and it is indeed a good pear.  There was a cross of it that was being tested as a rootstock and it had a wonderful aromatic flavor that was almost like quince.  I kicked myself for not getting some as the trees were pulled as being unpromising as a rootstock, though the fruit was great.  Had the longest stem you ever saw.  Scale a cherry up to pear size and you would have something with a similar sized stem.
   If Brian is passing out scions, I'll put in an order.  I have Crataegus douglasii trees that could be topworked to pears (I've done that several times with great results).
-Lon Rombough