nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Murraya koeningii and Berberis aristata seeds.

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch@vsnl.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, "Mark Lee - N" <markl@nytec.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Murraya koeningii and Berberis aristata seeds.
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:01:10 +0530

Dear Mark,

Curry leaf plant is basically a tropical plant. But the strain that grows
here in the hills, can withstand upto - 4 C. The summer temperature here is
about 35 C.

We call it GANDHELU. Its leaves are used in curries only by South Indians.
In North here, most peopole even do not know about this use pof Gandhelu.
Here its twigs of pencil thickness are used for cleaning the teeth. It is
called DATUN. People pick a stick of this plant while setting out for
morning walk and make a sort of brush by chewing one end of this stick.
Then they keep cleaning their teeth too while walking. It is said to be
very useful for healthy teeth and gums. This practice, however, is now
vanishing and now people brush their teeth with toothpastes in the
bathrooms. But still in villages, DATUN is very popular. The wood of 3-4
plants is said to very suitable for brushing teeth.

You may see pictures of Gandhelu at my website.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant on Lesser Known Indian Fruits
www.lesserknownindianplants.com