nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Questions about T-budding

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Questions about T-budding
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:47:00 -0600

2. How can I prolong the viability of scions? (In case I have to get scions thru mail)

Take all the leaves off, leaving the stem attached to the stick. I have also used wilt-pruf to help keep the moisture loss to a minimum.

3. Can I use the insulation tape? or the rubber bands put together?

I use parafilm tape, with rubber bands overtop, leaving the T-bud exposed. Usually after about 10 days, depending on the heat, I remove the rubber bands. The rubber bands are to ensure that the bud stays in place to callus properly.

4. Any other specific things I have to look for?

I usually T-bud on the north side of the branch, no need for the sun beating down on the bud. I water the plant that I am taking the budwood from the night before, then cut the budwood early in the morning.

I am certainly not an expert at T-budding, but this is the procedure I follow.

Dean Kreutzer
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
USDA zone 3