nafex - [NAFEX] Loquat cold hardiness

  • From: Faye and Ned Rahn <plantfolks@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Loquat cold hardiness
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:15:51 -0700 (PDT)

This is my second attempt to post to the message board
- hope I get it right this time.

I live in zone 8b, where loquats are used in the
landscape and where the winters are mild enough for
them to sometimes bear fruit. Loquats bloom and set
fruit in the winter, which makes the fruit itself
subject to freeze damage at or below 25 degrees f,
while the tree can handle 15 degrees or so. I have
observed that individual trees seem to vary a great
deal in their ability to fruit after being subjected
to freezing temperatures. This winter brought one 19
degree night and several nights where the temps
dropped to 25 or less. I have collected seed and
budwood from several local trees that fruited despite
the freezes. Also, friend that lives North of me took
me to two trees, near his home, that fruited after a
low of 13 degrees. The fruit was above average in
size and very tasty. These two trees were next to
brick buildings, which I would guess helped, but I
don't think the buildings alone can explain why the
trees fruited. I am hoping that they simply more cold
tolerant.

This has got me to wondering what others might have
observed in regards loquats fruiting after winter
freezes. Also, I have some seed from one of the
trees that fruited after the low of 13, which I would
be happy to share.

Ned