nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Loquat cold hardiness

  • From: Faye and Ned Rahn <plantfolks@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Loquat cold hardiness
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:30:33 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the info. I will try to obtain a copy of
the article through our local library.

I have read that loquats can be grown as a container
plant, so maybe that would be one way to go. I have a
mature Advance (as well as several other named
varieties), which is said to be smaller than most, but
it is still about 15' tall. It is subject to having
the fruit aborted by freezes here most winters, but
should do ok in a container.

Loquats have been grown here (zone 8b), and in other
such regions of the Southeast (where they are
subjected to freezes) for many years. Many are grown
from the seeds of existing plants, so it would seem
that this selection process might have resulted in a
few trees that have increased fruit hardiness. The
more eyes we have looking, the more likely we are to
find a few that would extend the fruiting limits.

I hadn't planned to attend the SFF meeting but would
like to try to make sometime when it is fairly near
here.

Ned

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX