nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry Varieties

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry Varieties
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:32:44 -0500

Several years back - I'm thinking maybe it's the Summer '97 issue of POMONA(yep, that's the one) - Dr. A.J. Bullard had a nice little treatise on mulberry varieties for the Southeast. Might be worth going back and reviewing for those of you who have that issue handy.

For unknown reasons, Ill. Everbearing didn't do well in Dr. Bullard's orchard - he preferred 'Silk Hope' out of the M.albaXrubra hybrids.
I've not tried SH, and haven't checked Mike McConkey's Edible Landscaping Nursery catalog lately to see if he's still offering it.
He mentioned the Hicks Everbearing variety, which was evidently widely planted in earlier times, for chicken and hog forage - not very tasty by his standards, but hens and pigs don't have real high standards.

LLP