nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Too much rain, Too much wind

  • From: JRobbFarm@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Too much rain, Too much wind
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 21:10:40 EDT

Ward,
If you like the tree, by all means rescue it.
Stake it upright with heavy duty fence posts and cable. Routine pruning in
the winter is fine. One thing to be aware of, is that once you stake them
after they have blown over, you have to keep them staked forever. You can
cut
back to one stake support directly windward of the tree, but I recommend you
always keep them staked.
The root system will never regain its full strength and a good storm will
blow a recovered tree right over again. I have staked and saved trees and
learned from experience. Good luck!
Jeff
Ohio River Valley, Zone 6