nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Too much rain, Too much wind

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Too much rain, Too much wind
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:02:49 -0400

Ward Barnes wrote:
The continuing rain throughout late winter and spring has caused my orchard ground to be soft. Combined with a strong wind two nights ago and one of my 15 to 20 year old apple trees was blown down. My question is can this tree be saved or is it better to replace it with a different fruit tree?

Ward Barnes
Wake, Va. Coastal Zone 7

Message archives are here:
To view your user options go to: http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX (where XXXX@XXXX is YOUR email address)
NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/

Ward:

1. I think a lot depends on how valuable this tree is to you. If it is one of your good producers, with quality fruit, I would try to save it. The condition of the tree at the crown is also a factor. If there is evidence of any breakage, or if a lot of the larger roots have been pulled out and exposed, it might be difficult to re-bury them properly.

2. If you decide to try to save it, I think the first thing I would do is prune off quite bit of the top growth to try to restore some tree/root balance. It will be easier to do this while the tree is lying on the ground. I would basically leave only the scaffold limbs. This will also help to reduce the sail effect in case you get any more high winds this season. Not much sign of the rains and winds stopping so far.

3. Tie a stout line on a major limb as high as possible in the tree, and hook the other end to a pickup or car based at the nearest dry spot. Then try to pull it up a little past vertical. You might require an assistant to guide the tree as it goes up, and perhaps supply a little extra muscle.

4. I have a couple of heavy steel tree anchors here that screw into the earth, and, if turned in deeply, will support a lot of weight. You should be able to find these anchors at a homeowners store like Lowes or maybe Home Depot. Mine came from a farm supply store. Then just run a line from the anchor to a high point on the tree. You may have to use more than one to control wobbling, but it is possible that one would be enough. You can also use one or more notched 2x4's against the tree if you can't find anchors. If the earth ever dries out, which seems unlikely now but has to happen eventually, the tree should eventually stabilize and strenghthen, and the anchors or the 2x4's can come off after one full season.

5. I have to add that I have only done this with trees that were severe leaners, not ones that were flat on the ground. But I was able to overcome the leaning, and the trees have been on their own for years. I think these problems owe a lot to the use of size-controlling rootstocks, which allow quite a bit of top growth with some apple varieties, but not a whole lot of anchoring. I have never had this happen with M-111.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA