nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Making our own pectin

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: "art@complum.com, North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Making our own pectin
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 09:51:04 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Making our own pectin
Those are quinces, too.  The genus is Chaenomeles.  Most of the ones sold for landscape set very few fruits, but in other parts of the world they are prized for fruit for jelly and juice.  Hector Black's Hidden Springs Nursery has selections of Japanese quince that are good fruit producers.  I have some seedlings of some Lithuanian material that makes a very low bush with lots of small fruits.  They cook down very well, but keep the hatchet sharp to cut them when raw - they are hard little buggers.
   The other quinces are genus Cydonia.  I have a collection of varieties and of those, Smyrna is the best of the commercially available types I've tried.  Hidden Springs has a good collection of quinces, too.
-Lon Rombough