nafex - [NAFEX] nursery bed mulch

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] nursery bed mulch
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 16:19:27 +0000

Last year I did a test using the abundant duck weed that chokes one of our new ponds. It formed a pretty solid mat around some grapes and permitted only well rooted perennial weeds to penetrate. It lasted clear until this spring.
My particular need is for someting I can place around closely spaced plants that will not also be a nursery for field mice. Sawdust could be used, but mice can use it and it doesn't seem to stop weeds unless it is quite deep.
So I waited this year until the wind pushed the duckweed all to one side, took a good leaf rake and in short order piled up quite a few wheel barrow loads. Waited a day for it to drain and it becomes light and fluffy.
Later I hope to try and idea of casting a rope across a narrow part and hauling in a truck load with the tractor. Might get enough to use in the orchard.
Of course commercial mulch stops weeds, but I haven't figured out how to use it for small irregularly spaced seed bed plants. Del, frost last night, sunny today
Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

  • [NAFEX] nursery bed mulch, del stubbs, 05/31/2003