nafex - Re: [NAFEX] cedar sawdust/shavings

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] cedar sawdust/shavings
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:52:31 +0000

hello all
I have been offered cedar shaving by the bag
I thought I had read that cedar is toxic to plants
Any thoughts?
Thank you in advance Bert

We are on very heavy clay, however, where the homesteaders cow barn was 50 years ago- the soil is incredibly friable and fertile. The fertility might be due to the manure of 50 years ago? but I don't think the looseness could be. I still find fragments of barn timbers buried 6" down on 4 foot centers. My guess is that it was either white cedar or tamarack (larch) both rot resistant. I am so impressed with what wood fibers can do for our clay I am considering taking amounts of the abundant rotting american elm logs in the adjacent forest, and applying it around trees. Both me and my orchard need more fiber. Del