nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: Changing Jobs

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: mrtejas@lycos.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: Changing Jobs
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 18:50:39 -0400

I agree with the fluffy bunny.

Let me add that I think growing fruit is a nice counterbalance to a "normal" job. It can be an anchor when other things are going insane. Having many activities smooth out lifes injustices. It is rare when *everything* goes into the septic tank at the same time.

I once read that it was the women in primative societies who, day in and day out, brought home most of the calories. Every day they would pick a few handfuls of seeds, a pouch of berries, and a cluster of tubers. The guys, on the other hand, would often go for weeks without bringing home any meat (read; protein and fat). But let me tell you, it was a heck of a party when they downed a mastodon.

I have seen several families treat the day-job and the home-grown food as the day-to-day way of living. This is analogous to the women gathering seeds, nuts, berries.

Then, they have a little enterprise on the side that was their mad-money. One guy sold seed nuts. He sold enough seed nuts in a good year to buy his wife a new car. I suppose others might use the money to travel. The enterprise was like the guys stalking the mastodon.

I think this is a pretty sane way of approaching things.
--
-Joe Hecksel
My personal website: http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel