nafex - [NAFEX] Re: changing jobs

  • From: Judith Miller <paradisegds@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: changing jobs
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 20:49:03 -0700 (PDT)

Some suggestions to help you find out your answers:
1)keep up with this list, & join Pomona;
2) take some Master Gardener courses to see how you like more formalized training/see what it might entail to go further
3) visit with your local Extension office and find out names of local nursery folks to talk to--they will help you get an idea if this is the life for you;
4) nobody says you can't start teensy and work slowly from one type of work to another, getting an idea of what you are comfortable with as you go along.  Our local Farmers' Market prides itself on being 'training wheels' for those investigating the nursery trades--we are happy to share advice.
Good luck--and keep having fun.  Life is too short to not give your dreams a try!

From: rob hamilton
Subject: [NAFEX] changing jobs -

Do I keep this as just a hobby (and get
buy more land) or do I make it really work for me. I
have no formal training in horticulture. Do I go back
to school, and if so what do I do when I get out? Will
this be a fruit thing be just a passing fancy, or will
I start breeding my own cultivars.

I know, these are questions I need answer myself, but
I always found it good to hear for others about their
journeys and what they do.

Anyone care to share?

Judith Miller
Paradise Gardens Rare Plant Nursery
Bonners Ferry Idaho USA Zone 4 Mintemp -25F (-31C)
http://www.rareplantnursery.net