nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: Changing Jobs

  • From: "philip sauber" <mrtejas@lycos.com>
  • To: "LONGDISTSHTR" <longdistshtr@infoave.net>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: Changing Jobs
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 16:15:01 -0500

IMHO you can figure out whether this is the thing for you by starting small.  Start out with your current job and turn your back yard into a nursery growing a few hundred pots with your spare time.  I have done this with no intension of going commercial because I enjoy budding/grafting.  See whether growing a few hundred pots is still fun.  Growing thousands might be different. You will be able to figure out the economics of this in $ and time fairly quickly.  Go visit some local growers or go to Forrest Hill, La if you are within driving distance.  There are hundreds of plant nurseries in the area there and some would be glad to talk to you about their lifestyle.  The economics of it are 3 gallon nice looking plants about 2-3 years old are selling for $4 each.  The greenhouses are hoop houses covered with poly.  Most workers can't speak english.  The lifefstyle is pretty rural also.

Phil

Login To Lycos Mail