nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Vinegar Herbicide?/burdock

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Vinegar Herbicide?/burdock
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 18:22:24 +0000

Does anyone know the proper percentage of vinegar to use as a herbicide on
burdock? Tom

When we bought our 160 it should have been called 'burdock acres', it was pastured for 90 years prior to us. Where our garden and part of orchard is now - the soil was so rich the burdock was 10' high and stalks big as my arm., it was like a forest. It took the bulldozer to clear a patch. Being a biennial it is easy to control by mowing. We were quite concerned the way it was taking over the mixed hardwood forest floor and shading out native stuff - our first 4 years it doubled its territory every year till about 40 acres was pretty bad. But we see a natural turn around now - as the sod slowly takes over it can't compete. It took off at first because there were no longer cattle to trample or eat the young shoots in the spring,but the disturbed ground it loves was everywhere.
One area in the new orchard has 2 year old apples and ribes - if I dont mow soon in the spring the plants are completely hidden - however I do not till where it is because the countless seeds are mostly on top of the ground - so I let them germinate each year then kill by mowing. Hopefully this burdock seed bank will run low on funds before too many years.
Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

  • Re: [NAFEX] Vinegar Herbicide?/burdock, del stubbs, 05/25/2003