nafex - [NAFEX] changing jobs - fruit interests

  • From: rob hamilton <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] changing jobs - fruit interests
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 09:03:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

This may be odd place to talk about this, and I dont
know if anyone can really offer me any real advice
about this, but I am not sure where to go.

I am pretty new a fruit culture, but I am finding it
really interesting...more interesting than what I am
doing now.

Let me back-up a bit.
I am about 36 years old and I am working at Spelman
College and lab tech and teacher of Computer Graphics.

It's a nice job with pretty good perks, but I am not
as interested in computers as I once was. For a while
now, I have been just floating along with no real
interest in anything. I bought my first house about 6
years ago with 1/4 acre lot. I had no interest in
plants at all then (which is why I got the small lot),
but with constant prodding of the guy next door to
keep my lawn cut, the issue of yardwork was forced
upon me. After 2 years of mowing and cutting hedges, I
begin to tell people that "grass does not put food on
the table, so why am I spending so much time with
it!". I thought about what I said and it clicked. If I
am going to work in the yard, it needs to be something
I enjoy. Suddenly, I thought fruit trees! Why not! So
I started and haven't stopped yet. Now most of my free
time I am reading books and web pages and planting
anything and everything in the yard. I have planted
many trees and bushes. I have met many wonderful
people who have encouraged me. Most of them on this
list! I have learned more that I have ever wanted to
know about fruit culture and I am still a novice. I
have rooted my first cutting last year and budded my
first tree this spring. I seem to be getting deeper
and deeper in to the hobby with no way out. :)

Today I see a crossroad coming and I am not sure of
what to do. Do I keep this as just a hobby (and get
buy more land) or do I make it really work for me. I
have no formal training in horticulture. Do I go back
to school, and if so what do I do when I get out? Will
this be a fruit thing be just a passing fancy, or will
I start breeding my own cultivars.

I know, these are questions I need answer myself, but
I always found it good to hear for others about their
journeys and what they do.

Anyone care to share?

=====