nafex - [NAFEX] Mockernut as a rootstock?

  • From: LONGDISTSHTR <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mockernut as a rootstock?
  • Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 19:51:07 -0400

Anyone know whether Mockernut (Carya tomentosa/C. alba) can be used as a
rootstock for anything? I have several but never seen a nut on them.
I'm guessing that Shagbark and other hickories and maybe even pecan
could. I waste a lot of time cutting saplings and fight their stubburn
proliferation. I don't have any other hickories on my land. Walnuts,
Heartnut and pecans thrive and produce satisfactorily here. Seems like
they should be good for something other than fire wood. Nothing seems
to kill them so a lot of hand labor is wasted fighting them. They seem
to be faster growing than either pecans and walnuts and those of us who
grow either know that could be an advantage.

Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8
I started out with nothing and still have most of it.