nafex - [NAFEX] Mockernut as a rootstock?

  • From: <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mockernut as a rootstock?
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 11:53:45 -0500

Doc,
Ted Danieki sent me James hican which he said was compatible with
Mockernut, and I did get a take which has grown well these last 2 years, but
I also accidentally put it on a pignut and it has done well there too. I
tried Fox last year, and Davis for pignut, and got only 1 take, I think that
was Davis on pignut. The wet weather this year probably accounts for my
great successes grafting, and probably the dry winters the last two springs
did nothing to assist my meager skills. So I might have had takes had I
tried Fox again this year. I will soon know if my grafts of James to
mockernut and bitternut/pecan X onto bitternut took. The latter is from a
local tree, I hope to use it as an interstem for pecan, as we have plenty of
young bitternuts on the property, and pecan doesn't like our upland soil.
I guess I need to really talk to the bitternuts when I graft them, I
usually do talk to the trees when I graft them. I tell them about how I'm
bringing in some exciting new germplasm for their siblings to cross with, so
they shouldn't feel too bad that I'm cutting them off. I remind the
nonedible weeds that I'm the one providing the manure and the open space, so
they have to let me clear out most of them but not to worry, as I'll never
be rid of all of them. I remeind the edible weeds that I'll always let them
grow and reproduce wherever I can spare the room. I felt bad grafting bur
oak onto post oaks, didn't feel like I had any good news at all for them,
but I said well I'm bringing in this whole new species for you all to meet,
and I swear, the whole dang forest thought that was the most exciting thing
I did all year. Donna