nafex - [NAFEX] Rootstock Sources

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Rootstock Sources
  • Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 10:09:42 -0400

Keith:

I couldn't get your link to work

>http://a4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/IHy7PkXTUHHaZH3ps9DtxS7mu8Uak2aVuY4yTiaqavf15-IFQGTWnSVmo5LDHmqeuZ27YmTEYcQ2Eb09/Wood.pdf

Bruce:

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I think the most rootstock of
one "species" I ever ordered was 30 apple the first spring at
my current house, and even then I ordered 3 different
varieties to see how they did for me (M26, Bud 9, Ottawa 3).
I'm now at the replacement/*maybe* I can squeeze one or two
more trees in. Though I agree I'd have to pay almost twice or
more what you'd be paying at say $4, it's still a deal
compared to what they charge for single trees in the retail
catalogs. I'm starting to outgrow where I originally
wanted to restrict the orchard to (I'm also growing on my two
acres the following: apple, pear, asian pear, pawpaw, peach,
apricot, sweet cherry, nanking cherry, persimmon,
plums/prunes, pluot/plumcot, Jostaberry, Gooseberry, red
currant, honeyberry, red & gold raspberry, blackberry, black
raspberry, blueberry, cornelien cherry, maypop, strawberry )
So you end up me asking the questions:
Where do you put all your trees/how much land do you have ?
What do you do with the fruit you're producing?
When do you find the time to do all the grafting? Not counting
field grafting I benchgrafted 27 trees this spring (10 apple,
7 pear, 10 prunus) at ~20 minutes per tree that works out to
almost 6 hours of grafting time.

>To each their own. I graft about 100 trees a year and am not commercial.
>Also, the price in small quantities is pretty stiff.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W
~650 ft elevation