nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple pollination question

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple pollination question
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 07:18:21 -0500

Michael,

I checked University of Minnesota web pages (the U of MN introduced your
apple) for the characteristic in question and found no reference to State
Fair being a self-pollenizer. Nor is this mentioned in any of my apple
texts. In residential suburban settings north of the Mason-Dixon line, this
is rarely an important issue since almost every other house plants an
ornamental crabapple of some sort. If you have crabs in the neighborhood, I
wouldn't worry too much. On the other hand, who could grow just one apple
tree?

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI USDA zone 3