nafex - [NAFEX] Apple pollination question

  • From: "Michael Glassford" <glassfordm@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple pollination question
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 18:04:43 -0400

My pastor's wife was given a State Fair apple as an early Mother's Day
present. The person who gave it to her was told by the nursery that it is
self-pollinating. Two questions:

1) I know that a very few varieties of apples are sometimes said to be
self-pollinating. Is State Fair one of these?

2) Is it true that self-pollinating apples pollinate themselves to a limited
extent, but produce better if cross-pollinated? Or do they do just as well
without cross-pollination as with it?

Thanks,

Mike