nafex - [NAFEX] Strawberries for Tropical Climates

  • From: Kevin Bradley <kbradley@ttlc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Strawberries for Tropical Climates
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 08:45:20 -0500

Can anyone help this Indonesian journalist? Perhaps someone could post this to the California Rare Fruit Growers if they are a member? Any other ideas?

>Dear Sir/Madam,
>
>My name is Mira Rahmawaty. I am a reporter of Trubus
>magazine, a well known magazine about agriculture in
>Indonesia. Due to our topic for edition June 2003,
>strawberry, we have found that in Indonesia many
>farmers are interested in strawberry cultivation. But
>most of them do not know how to get the seeds. I
>believe this kind of information will be useful to our
>readers.
>There are some questions I want to ask :
>1. What kind of seed you produce? How about
>strawberry? What varieties you produce?
>2. Have you ever exported strawberry seeds to
>Indonesia? If so, to whom and what varieties? In what
>form? Stolon or in vitro or bare-root plants or else?
>3. If you have not exported to Indonesia, what
>varieties that you think suitable for Indonesia?
>Indonesia is a tropical country, with rainy and dry
>season. Strawberry usually cultivated in Bedugul
>(Bali), Ciwideuy (West Java) and Batu (East Java),
>with altitude about 1.200 m from sea, and rainfall
>about 2.000 mm/year. Some varieties that usually
>cultivated in Indonesia are Sweet Charlie, Tristar and
>Osagrande.
>4. I want description about strawberry varieties that
>suitable for Indonesia, like how to cultivate,
>superiority, productivity, how long could be
>harvested, size and color of the fruit. Could you
>please give me the descriptions and pictures of each
>variety?
>I do hope you would answer my questions, so I can
>write and inform it to the readers. I hope you could
>give me the answers before May 11st, 2003.
>Thank you very much for your attention. I am looking
>forward to getting your reply.
>
>Sincerely,
>Mira Rahmawaty
>Trubus Magazine
>Wisma Hijau, Jl. Raya Bogor Km 30,
>Cimanggis, Depok 16952
>Phone 62-21-8729060, Fax 62-21-8729059
>Indonesia

My response to Mira was:
Dear Mira:
I don't offer any strawberries, I have grown them here in a northern latitude but the varieties here may require more winter cold to make the plants go dormant. I have looked in the Fruit Nut and Berry Invenory to find that there is a variety called Florida 90 and Floridabelle, both do well in a hot climate with no winter chill. They are offered by Bob Wells Nursery, phone: 903 882 3550.
Good luck
I will also post your question on an internet discussion group to see if you can get some info from some of our southern members.

  • [NAFEX] Strawberries for Tropical Climates, Kevin Bradley, 05/07/2003