nafex - Re: [NAFEX] multiple apple cultivars on one tree?

  • From: kathryn stout <kathrynwrites@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] multiple apple cultivars on one tree?
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:14:29 -0700 (PDT)

Which cultivars grow faster and more vigorously? Or
where to look up that information? If it is the
cultivar, and this info is known and available, then
perhaps I can anticipate it--plan where to graft what
varieties, so my tree does not become so misshapen or
unbalanced.
Right now I am about to graft six:
Gravenstein (I've read is very vigorous)
Black Oxford
Cox Orange Pippin (probably not very vigorous here in
W. Mass, an English apple known for preferring cool or
water-side climates)
Golden Russet
Esophus Spitzenberg
Northern Spy (vigorous, I think--also known for taking
a long time to bear)

Can you tell me more about the relative vigor of these
varieties, or what reference would list vigor of apple
varieties??
I have only space for one tree, so to try multiple
varieties I have to graft. (Learn--I did have success
bud-grafting apricot, using RJ Garner's book--but this
is my first time grafting apple--dormant scion wood on
a just-beginning-to-grow tree.)

Kathryn
Zone 5

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX