nafex - Re: [NAFEX] multiple apple cultivars on one tree?

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] multiple apple cultivars on one tree?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:59:55 EDT

I did a lot of this years ago when I first learned to graft well and had access to lots of cultivars. The biggest problem that I encountered was not the time od harvest, but the time of bloom, it meant that I could not properly spray, because the blossoms were in different stages. Another big problem is the growth rate - some cultivars grow much faster and morre vigorously, so the tree becomes very misshapen. On the good side is that there is very good pollination.

Ed Mashburn
Northumberland BerryWorks
707 Front Street
Northumberland, PA 17857