nafex - [NAFEX] bumble aggression

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] bumble aggression
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:26:27 -0500

The bumbles are working my blueberries at the moment.

I've only had a single encounter with a bumblebee nest, but it wasn't very much fun. In my limited experience, they're every bit as aggressive as yellowjackets if you disturb their nest.
I was mowing some fairly rank, overmature grass alongside the driveway a number of years ago, when WHAM! out of nowhere, those rascals started nailing me. Of course, I took off on a sprint - ran at least 50 yards to escape them. Left the lawnmower running - I believe it as positioned almost directly over the entrance to the nest at the point in time when I departed. A significant number of bees committed suicide on the mower blades as they exited the nest, but it still took a good 30 minutes before I was able to sneak back up to the mower and shut it off. Left it there until nightfall, when I was able to remove it safely. Hated to do it, but since I had a 1 & 3 -yr old toddling around at the time, I poured a cup of gasoline down the hole to finish off any survivors.

Lucky