nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bumble bee as pollinator

  • From: Keith Benson <kgbenson@mindspring.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bumble bee as pollinator
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 10:41:29 -0400

Many of the ground dwelling bumbles can be very aggressive. there are a tremendous number of species ranging from docile to wasplike aggressive. There are bumbles that use above ground nests (old mice nests are a favorite) and those that use underground nests.

Anyone ever try to culture these?

Check out:
http://www.knoxcellars.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KCNP&Product_Code=HBOH&Category_Code=SS

http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page1342.html

Keith

Lon J. Rombough wrote:

That's the most aggressive behavior I've ever heard of in bumble bees. Are you sure you didn't have a species of underground living wasp? -Lon Rombough