nafex - Re: [NAFEX] gooseberry question

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] gooseberry question
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 21:06:12 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] gooseberry question

From: Judith Miller <paradisegds@yahoo.com>

Can anyone tell me what fruit might be masquerading as a gooseberry?  I got a box of fruit from a friend last summer that she called gooseberries. The fruit, though large, translucent, gold & hairy-spiny, was insipid and very seedy.

There's one I know- Early Sulfur? (that may be the name)- is yellow and has stiff hairs. I wouldn't call it large, though it's bigger by far than Pixwell. If fully ripe, like many gooseberries, it's a bit bland. It's early, bears well and is healthy, and good for cooking if not too ripe. I eat them fresh at the full (over?) ripe stage.

-Rick