nafex - [NAFEX] gooseberry question

  • From: Judith Miller <paradisegds@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] gooseberry question
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:15:52 -0700 (PDT)

Can anyone tell me what fruit might be masquerading as a gooseberry?  I got a box of fruit from a friend last summer that she called gooseberries.  Expecting to make pie & fool, I found I was the fool when I got home.  The fruit, though large, translucent, gold & hairy-spiny, was insipid and very seedy.  Nothing like I remember from my childhood.  Was it overripe? Some kind of currant? Or a variety I should avoid?  I do want to plant the real thing and would welcome suggested varieties.
Thanks,
Judy in rainy north Idaho