nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grape - internode length

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grape - internode length
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 18:07:38 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Grape - internode length
Internode length is a function of environment rather than the particular vine.  If you look at shoots, usually there will be one or two extra long ones about the third to fifth node out from the base.  That reflects a period in early summer when conditions were ideal and the vine put lots of extra vigor into it.  If you are trying to select a more vigorous vine, you are more apt to succeed if you keep records and select the vine with the greatest overall vigor AND productivity, as measured by both the amount of wood and fruit it produces.  Individual shoots that are more vigorous might have a slight edge over others on the same vine, if they have received extra food and are healthy and well matured, but usually they are just "bull" canes that are oversize and harder to handle, without giving any better results.  The absolute best part of the cane is the first foot or so, where the wood is more mature and has more nodes for the length than the rest of the shoot.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com