nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hmmm...what am I missing

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hmmm...what am I missing
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 19:23:15 -0500

Gang:

I must be missing something here. If apple trees breaking at the graft
union are a major concern why not just drive a metal splice across the
graft union?

That will probably work for simple bending but will not be adequate for torsional (or twisting) stresses. An earlier post mentioned a need for three posts to address twisting.

Regarding Black Locust. Fast grower but not very shade tolerant. Some people claim it has allopathic effects that dwarf Black Walnut. I am pollarding mine instead of coppicing. I want to see if I can avoid heavy suckering.

I see different species and cultivars the way I see the many tools in my tool box. Black Locust is a bit like a ball peen hammer. There are times when no other tool will do. And then there are times when use of the ball peen hammer will cause much damage.

--
-Joe Hecksel
My personal website: http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel