nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hmmm...what am I missing

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hmmm...what am I missing
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 16:25:48 -0500

To the fluffy bunny,
The person who will, one day, cut this tree with a chain saw will have a
nice surprise...
Claude

A 19:31 03.03.15 -0800, vous avez écrit :
>Gang:
>
>I must be missing something here. If apple trees breaking at the graft
union are a major concern why not just drive a metal splice across the
graft union? Carpenters use these all the time in framing to hold things
together, and I simply cannot imagine why you would not do this. I pushed
in splices on my M27 after they were a year old and they just grew over the
metal. I "assume this will not harm the tree and I have been tempted to
drive in a couple more as the tree increases in diameter. Of course I
have limited experience with this as I am a home grower not an orchardist
but I cannot imagine why this would not work.