nafex - [NAFEX] M111

  • From: HDessureault <inter.verbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] M111
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:24:46 -0600

Greetings to all those enthousiastic fruit growers out there!
Does anyone knows the average expected size of M111 rootstock in a zone 3 or 4?
All my trees are grafted on M111 and I am starting to have trees that are quite different in size (after 5 years) depending on the cultivar grafted, I guess. I am noticing that some varieties systematically grow a lot faster than others on M111, and I am suspecting off course that those trees will be a lot bigger than the others... when they have reach their full potential on a sandy hill side.
It is hard to space trees without a real notion of the eventual size of the tree.
Letting the tree produce fruits after 5 years is also suppose to slow down the growth. Does it affect the ultimate size or just the time it takes to get there?
These are questions that come to mind this morning as I am contemplating a new season of planting more trees in the orchard.
Thank you for your comments.
Hélène, zone 3-4

  • [NAFEX] M111, HDessureault, 03/13/2003