nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Organic Fireblight Treatment

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Organic Fireblight Treatment
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 19:10:45 -0500

Hello,

I believe they are just trying to alter surface PH of the leaf so that
disease finds a hostile
environment on arrival. An expert can say better, but I believe many of the
plant diseases
survive in a very narrow ph range. If you create an un-natural ph range on
the leaf surface, the
disease is less likely to invade.

I have been told that vinegar is highly volatile and breaks down quickly. So
this approach would
not last very long.

Similar techniques are used to change leaf surface ph. I have heard of both
milk as an
acidifier, and baking soda sprays (base) used to alter leaf ph on roses.

Later,
Tom

--

===