nafex - [NAFEX] Organic Fireblight Treatment

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <bnikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Organic Fireblight Treatment
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 18:02:28 -0700 (MST)

One of the advantages of growing apples, pears, and cherries in a harsh zone
3/2 climate such as central Alberta is the virtual complete absence of pests
and diseases that others on this list commonly have to put up with. The
sole exception is fireblight, which some years, can be a real challange up
here.

A fellow from England told a friend of mine that he has had no problem with
fireblight since he used the following formula:
a/ Mix 1/3 white household vinegar with 2/3 water.
b/ Spray tree(s), top and bottom of the leaves, to dripping
c/ That's it, except repeat in a week or so if fireblight is still evident.

He said the vinegar makes the surface of the tree very acidic, and bacteria
like an alkaline environment, so they die.

My friend has tried this and says it really works. Personally I have not
had fireblight for 5 years, so I can't say from personal experience if this
method works or not. But it is worth trying for NAFEXERS who don't want to
try antibiotics or other sprays. I personally would still trim off the
affected branches before spraying.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta