nafex - [NAFEX] Champanel grape

  • From: "philip sauber" <mrxtexas@lycos.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: mrtejas@lycos.com
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Champanel grape
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 12:43:46 -0600

What are peoples experience with champanel grape? I've heard it is sour and
only good for jelly from someone who pulled their vines up to "an excellent
grape to eat if allowed to fully ripen(about 2 weeks after it turns blue")
from Womack nursery where I bought it. I picked champanel because it is
reputed not to require spraying for black rot vs black spanish and blanc du
bois that do (George Ray McEachern "Growing Fruits, Berries, and Nuts in the
South".)

Is it sweet enough for juice and fresh eating?

Does it require spraying?

I live near Houston, TX. I also have several muscadines I am also growing.
I an also trying the mortenson cold hardy vinafera that is supposedly
resistant to pierce's disease.