nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Runting

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Runting
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 12:23:53 -0600

<nafex@lists.ibiblio.org> =====
>As stupid as it sounds beat the trunk with a rolled up newspaper. I had a
>apple tree 20 years ago that was 5 feet tall at planting. After 5 years it
>was less than 6 feet. After beat it, it started to grow as it should.
>I've seen it work elsewhere also.

Well, there's an old (tongue-in-cheek) adage that goes(and please, NAFEX
ladies, don't take me to task - I have never, nor do I advocate or condone
domestic violence):
"A dog, a wife a hickory(I suppose you could substitute apple) tree,
The more you beat 'em, the better they be." - Anon.

I suspect that in some instances, the 'stress' regular 'beating' induces
might
also promote early fruiting.

Lucky

  • RE: [NAFEX] Runting, Lucky.Pittman, 03/09/2003