nafex - [NAFEX] PDF and various comments

  • From: "Ed Forest" <edforest55@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] PDF and various comments
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 14:03:43 +0000

I'm wondering why PDF is significantly better than just plain Works, Word, Wordpro or even RTF. I myself wouldn't need to have the neat double columns and unique scrolling ability of PDF, regular wordprocessor documents are searchable also. Another advantage of computer copies of Pomona is storage space, I have quite a few Pomonas and not a lot of space anymore to store them.

In regards to Kevin M's comments I don't like to hear all this fuss about copyright, our founders never intended that to happen and if you read your Handbook you will see that this is true. If 'you' (meaning any potential author) have something valuable that you don't want to share, I would encourage you to write a book, and then let us know about it. Lon and Michael Philips have done this and it seems to have worked out well for them and in the end we all get this information without a lot of worries.
I for one have enjoyed the list lately and don't see any deficits in quality. To use Nafex members to be an inspirational springboard for an author's writing is all well and good but to then expect Nafex, an amateur, non- profit group, to change the very maxims upon which it was founded, one of free and unhindered sharing of experiences and information, in order to accomadate the for- profit goals of a few authors, frankly, takes a lot of nerve.

Kevin Bradley