nafex - RE: [NAFEX] PDF and various comments

  • From: "Bruce Hansen" <brucehansen@acd.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] PDF and various comments
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 10:02:13 -0500

Kevin:

Excellent point. Let's move.

Bruce

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org]On Behalf Of Ed Forest
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 9:04 AM
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [NAFEX] PDF and various comments

I'm wondering why PDF is significantly better than just plain Works, Word,
Wordpro or even RTF. I myself wouldn't need to have the neat double columns
and unique scrolling ability of PDF, regular wordprocessor documents are
searchable also. Another advantage of computer copies of Pomona is storage
space, I have quite a few Pomonas and not a lot of space anymore to store
them.

In regards to Kevin M's comments I don't like to hear all this fuss about
copyright, our founders never intended that to happen and if you read your
Handbook you will see that this is true. If 'you' (meaning any potential
author) have something valuable that you don't want to share, I would
encourage you to write a book, and then let us know about it. Lon and
Michael Philips have done this and it seems to have worked out well for them
and in the end we all get this information without a lot of worries.
I for one have enjoyed the list lately and don't see any deficits in
quality. To use Nafex members to be an inspirational springboard for an
author's writing is all well and good but to then expect Nafex, an amateur,
non- profit group, to change the very maxims upon which it was founded, one
of free and unhindered sharing of experiences and information, in order to
accomadate the for- profit goals of a few authors, frankly, takes a lot of
nerve.

Kevin Bradley