nafex - [NAFEX] Re: olive trees found in Bulgaria

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Hector Black <hblack@twlakes.net>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: olive trees found in Bulgaria
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:30:38 -0800

Title: Re: olive trees found in Bulgaria
Though I've never tried propagating olives, they were traditionally grown from rooted cuttings.  They were brought into cultivation very early and that is one earmark of just about all the first fruits to be cultivated - they would grow from cuttings, plants like figs, grapes, and olives.  Historically, the Romans planted many olive orchards that way - long cuttings were thrust into the ground and kept watered and cared for, and they would root and grow.  With that in mind, I would imagine that olive cuttings would probably root pretty well with bottom heat in a light, well-drained medium.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com